Thursday, June 11, 2009

Oh the Joys of Being a Parent

On Tuesday we packed up our things and headed to Manti and Nephi area to have a big birthday party for Daniel for his second birthday. We got as far as Richfield when I asked Shaun to exit so I could use the bathroom. After I was finished I sat in the car and waited for Shaun, then it happened. Daniel this whole time had been just fine, sitting in the back seat laughing and watching the cars go by, suddenly he starts throwing up. Not just a little but a lot, over and over again, the poor thing is crying and covered. We dig him out of his seat and try to clean him off, we take off his clothes and start wiping him down with wet wipes and my baby is just crying this whole time. As we are wiping him down I feel his forehead and realize that he is also running a high fever. So I hold him in the back seat as we drive the couple of blocks to the Wal-Mart (his car seat is beyond help at this point) to see if we can get some stuff to help him and clean him up a little. In the Wal-mart we grab a thermometer and take is temp, it's 102.7 and climbing. We grab some Tylenol to give him and a little bit of water cause at this point he's crying and saying "wuher,wuher". About 10 minutes after we give him the Tylenol and water he throws it all back up on the pajamas we put one him, his blanket, and the towels we were going to buy(don't worry we did by them). Now we can't give him anymore Tylenol cause we don't know how much stayed with him, we grab another blanket, more towels, new pjs and a brand new carseat, cause I'm telling you there is no way that thing could be saved. Daniel's fever is now at 103 or so and he is just lethargic. Every bit of water we give him, even the smallest amounts he throws back up and he's just whimpering and I'm just trying not to whimper and cry myself. We get the new seat in and get him all wrapped up and he falls asleep right away (thank heavens) and we decided to just turn around and go home. We have no idea what is wrong or what he has and decided not to infect everyone else and just head home. We get home around 11 at night and thank goodness for wonderful friends, Lacie and Tayce came over so Tacye could help Shaun give Daniel a blessing. After they left we gave Daniel a little bit more water to see if he would keep it down, nope,that only stayed down for about 15 minutes. So we give him a bath which he cries through and give him like 2 teaspoons of water and wait. He keeps it down and so around 1:30 we finally but him to bed and we both go to bed. 3:00 I hear him crying and run in, his fever is so high and he has the chills and he is just so sad and sickly looking. He was just laying there crying and moaning trying so hard to sleep. After a little bit he starts to throw up again but he has nothing left in his tiny little body and so after a couple of times he is just dry heaving. I'm crying once again aching so much for my little bug. I set up a little bed on the couch for us and we watched Scooby-Doo the rest of the night, while every half hour I'm giving him about 2 teaspoons of water and then cleaning it up after he throws it back up again. He finally stops throwing everything up by 6:00 or so but still has a high fever. Finally I keep some Tylenol down him and his fever goes down just a little bit, but a little bit is better then nothing. Around 9:00 I wake up Shaun to have him watch Daniel while I make him a doctors appointment, buy some pedialyte, saltines and a new Scooby-Doo movie (Scooby-Doo is his favorite). We took him to the doctor around 4:00 and they poke his finger, he was not happy about that. The Doctor says it's just a viral bug and just keep doing what we are doing, So glad we have insurance or I would have paid him a couple hundred dollars just to tell me to do what I was already doing. After the doctors it's been been over ten hours since he had last thrown up and he is starting to eat some crackers and keep them down. We spend the rest of the day on the couch with him watching cartoons. It was so nice that Shaun and I had these last couple of days off while this was happening. Now it's Thurdsay morning and to look at him you would have never thought that he was so sick just yesterday. At least it didn't last too long, but oh times like this doesn't make me excited or want to have anymore that's for sure. So maybe in a couple of weeks we'll have a birthday party for him, the good thing is that at least he is young enough to not know what he missed.

3 comments:

Necia and Joe Shumway said...

oh my gosh, that poor little boy! You guys are amazing to handle it the way you did. I am glad he is feeling better.

Lindsay Carrick said...

Oh my goodness!! This made me sooo sad reading it. Wow, I'm always worried about tyler throwing up in the car! That is awful!!! I can't believe he's 2, happy late birthday daniel!

The Sullivans said...

Oh My! I am glad he is doing alot better! That freaks me out! Miss you all tonz!